Associate Athletics Director for Business
Company: Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University
Posted on: January 25, 2023
Associate Athletics Director for Business Category:
Administrative/Managerial Subscribe: Department: Athletics
Locations: Normal, AL Posted: Jan 20, 2023 Closes: Open Until
Filled Type: Full-time PositionID: 158137 Share About Alabama
A&M University :
Alabama A&M University (AAMU), an 1890 Land-Grant institution
located in the high-tech center of Huntsville in northern Alabama,
invites applications for the positions listed below. Situated in
the northeast quadrant of the city of 200,000, the hillside campus
is just four miles away from downtown Huntsville. AAMU offers its
6,100-student population a wide range of course offerings under the
College of Agriculture, Life and Natural Sciences; College of
Business and Public Affairs; College of Education, Humanities and
Behavioral Sciences and College of Engineering, Technology and
Physical Science. The School of Graduate Studies serves about 1,400
and offers doctoral degree programs in Applied Physics, Food
Science, Plant/Soil Science and Reading/Literacy.
Summary:The Associate Athletic Director for Business Administration
monitors and oversees all financial aspects of the athletics
department and administers the ticket office as it relates to
athletics. The Associate Athletic Director for Business oversees
budgets, financial statements, and payroll records, performs
spreadsheet forecasting and fiscal planning, approves purchase
orders, and oversees the ticket office for Intercollegiate
Athletics. The Associate Athletic Director for Business serves as a
liaison with the Chief Financial Officer and the University
Foundation Coordinator. In addition, will be responsible to the
Athletic Director for developing, implementing and evaluating all
aspects of an academic support program for
student-athletes.Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves in a leadership role as part of the Intercollegiate
Athletics' management team for all matters relating to budgeting
and financial management and Academic Enhancement support
- Develops, implements, and evaluates all aspects of the academic
support programs for student-athletes.
- Provides vision and innovation for development of programs and
- Supervises work and professional development of,
administrative, graduate students, and student workers.
- Oversees academic progress of all student-athletes toward
graduation; maintains academic reports, records and data necessary
to comply with university, Southwestern Athletic conference, and
NCAA rules and regulations.
- Works closely with the Registrar's Office and Compliance Office
to ensure continuing eligibility of student-athletes.
- Identifies, recruits, hires, trains and evaluates Academic
Enhancement full-time and part-time staff members, graduate
assistants and student workers.
- Manages and supervises the daily operations of the
Intercollegiate Athletics ticket office and ensures that all
business and financial guidelines of the department are in full
compliance with university, state, and NCAA guidelines.
- Ensures implementation of internal control policies and
procedures as required to support cash/revenue collection,
inventory control, accounting requirements and financial
- Supervises the posting and maintenance of all accounting
records for Intercollegiate Athletics, reconciles and balances all
accounts with the statement of accounts generated by Financial
Services each month and at the close of the fiscal year, and
supports the Director of Athletics with budget analysis and monthly
budget reports for each sport.
- Assists the Director of Athletics with preparation of the
annual department budget and acts as a primary contact person for
- Serves as a liaison with the University's Financial Services
unit and meets regularly with designated contacts in Financial
Services to discuss current business and accounting issues and
ensures an open line of communication.
- Implements departmental procedures for the purchase of supplies
and equipment in accordance with University policy, serves as the
liaison with Procurement Services, and coordinates the preparation
of purchase vouchers, requisitions, budget transfers, and
interdepartmental budget transfers.
- Develops and implements procedures for obtaining travel
advances and submitting expense vouchers for the coaches and staff
and oversees team travel arrangements and proper allocation of
travel expenses to appropriate budgetary categories.
- Maintains necessary income and expense records to provide
required financial and statistical reports to the Director of
Athletics, University administrators, and auditors.
- Oversees the training, initial interpretation, and day-to-day
implementation of conference and NCAA rules applicable to the
Intercollegiate Athletics business office.
- Assists the University's Intercollegiate Athletics program to
achieve the parallel goals of development of quality, competitive
athletics teams and support of the individual educational goals of
student-athletes by managing the personnel, budgetary, facility,
and equipment resources available to the athletics program,
developing policies and procedures designed to assure achievement
of internally and externally established goals and objectives, and
continuously evaluating individual and unit performance toward
achievement of those goals and objectives.
- Reduces the likelihood for violations of National Collegiate
Athletic Association (NCAA) rules and regulations, particularly
those regarding student eligibility to participate in
intercollegiate athletics, by ensuring that the athletics program
is in compliance with NCAA rules and regulations governing
- Manages funds by overseeing and exercising final authority over
- Promotes a positive image of the Intercollegiate Athletics
program and the University by participating in community and
professional organizations and representing the University at
professional, conference, and community meetings.
- Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of,
respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of
other cultures or backgrounds.
- Remains competent and current through self-directed
professional reading, developing professional contacts with
colleagues, attending professional development courses, and
attending training and/or courses as directed by the
- Contributes to the overall success of the Intercollegiate
Athletics program by performing all other duties and
responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Position Requirements (including years of experience,
certifications, licenses, etc.):
- Education: A bachelor's degree in business or related field. A
Master's degree in accounting, business administration, sports
administration or related field is preferred.
- Experience: At least three (3) years of administrative
experience. Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations governing the
conduct of intercollegiate athletics is preferred. Academic Support
services experience, budgetary experience, accounting, or a fiscal
management background is preferred.
- Other Requirements: The scope of the position requires weekend
& evening work and overnight out of town travel.Knowledge, Skills,
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Management and organizational skills
- Proficiency with computer and especially Excel skills
- Ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to
engage with those of other cultures or backgroundsSupervision:The
Associate Director of Athletics for Business is supervised by the
Director of Athletics and supervises assigned staff
SALARY:The salary for each position is based on the grade/tier in
which the position is placed, and the salary within the grade/tier
is based on the number of years of related experience or number of
years in the hiring rank.Alabama A&M University is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action EmployerAlabama A&M University
encourages applications for employment from persons who are members
of groups that have been underrepresented based on race, color,
national origin, gender, age, or disability.
Please submit the following documents online to be considered for
- Employment Application
- Resume (include all work experience/history)
- Unofficial transcript (if applicable)Already have an AAMU
Employment Account? Login to add documents or update your
Keywords: Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University, Normal , Associate Athletics Director for Business, Executive , Normal, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!