Company: Carle Health
Posted on: January 20, 2023
The Lab Phlebotomist - Hospital performs venipuncture and skin
puncture in the hospital setting. Demonstrates excellent
communication and patient care skills.
- Attend and satisfactorily complete all required continuing
education regarding the care of acute stroke patients
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
* Demonstrates compassion and caring in dealing with others. *
Strong communication skills. * Observes high standard of
confidentiality. * Ability to prioritize and complete tasks under
stressful conditions with interruptions. * Ability to accept and
implement change and function in instances where decisions are not
always apparent. * Ability to perform tasks with minimal error. *
Must possess critical thinking skills and the ability to work
independently. * Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Performs a variety of routine and complex blood drawing
procedures including but not limited to venipuncture, finger and
heel sticks, and blood cultures.
- Ensure quality by verifying patient identification and specimen
- Maintains appropriate response times to stat and timed
- Serves as part of the trauma and code response teams.
- Participates in committee work, as needed.
- Perform inventory and audits, as directed.
- The Hospital Phlebotomy team services the patients at Carle
Foundation Hospital. This team serves patients from newborn to
geriatric in the Emergency Department and all inpatient and
outpatient areas of the hospital. The Hospital Phlebotomy team
works closely with a variety of healthcare professionals to collect
blood specimens for diagnostic testing. The Hospital Phlebotomy
team collects blood from approximately 400 patients each 24-hour
period. Hospital Phlebotomists work every other weekend and 3-4
holidays per year and cover 1-2 call shifts each week.
- Patients and specimens are identified using two identifiers:
Name/Date of Birth or Name/Medical Record Number.
- Venipunctures are performed using a vacutainer needle and hub,
a hypodermic needle with syringe, or a butterfly needle system.
Complex blood drawing procedures include a variety of specialized
blood collection kits for commercial laboratories and/or research.
Blood cultures collected at Carle require Chloroprep skin
decontamination at the draw site and vary from collection of a
simple tube collection for Acid Fast or Fungal cultures, a set of
Bactec blood culture bottles, or involve nurse coordination for a
single or multiple-lumen port collection.
- The inpatient and Emergency Department expectations for
response times are that STAT tests will be collected within 15
minutes of order and TIMED tests will be collected within a 30
minute window of time around the specified collection time (up to
15 minutes before or 15 minutes after the time indicated).
- Phlebotomists collect initial blood specimens for all patients
classified as a Trauma.
- Successfully participates in all accreditation and other
proficiency testing and annual performance competencies in each of
the clinical laboratory testing areas. Participates in re-education
or re-training as needed to ensure successful completion of all
Proficiency and competency testing.
- Follows and maintains familiarity with laboratory and
organizational policies and procedures. Reviews and records
documentation of review as required.
- Complete Continuing Education as required by Lab policy and to
maintain certification if applicable.
- Communicates information with internal and external customers
as appropriate in an accurate, timely, effective and professional
- Phlebotomists must demonstrate the ability to work in a
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate
against any employee or applicant for employment because of race,
color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation,
gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or
any other federal, state or local protected class. Carle Health
participates in E-Verify and may provide the Social Security
Administration and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland
Security with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to
confirm work authorization. - For more information:
Effective September 20, 2021, the COVID 19 vaccine is required for
all new Carle Health team members. Requests for medical or
religious exemption will be permitted.
Keywords: Carle Health, Normal , Phlebotomist, Healthcare , Normal, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!