Chair, Department of Social Sciences/Associate or Full Profe
Company: Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University
Posted on: February 22, 2021
Chair, Department of Social Sciences/Associate or Full Professor
Category: Administrative/Managerial Department: Social Sciences
Locations: Normal, AL Posted: Jan 7, 2019 Closes: Open Until Filled
Type: Full-time Position--ID: 106260 Share About Alabama A&M
Alabama A&M University (AAMU), an 1890 Land-Grant institution
located in the high-tech center of Huntsville in northern Alabama,
invites applications for the positions listed below. Situated in
the northeast quadrant of the city of 200,000, the hillside campus
is just four miles away from downtown Huntsville. AAMU offers its
6,100-student population a wide range of course offerings under the
College of Agriculture, Life and Natural Sciences; College of
Business and Public Affairs; College of Education, Humanities and
Behavioral Sciences and College of Engineering, Technology and
Physical Science. The School of Graduate Studies serves about 1,400
and offers doctoral degree programs in Applied Physics, Food
Science, Plant/Soil Science and Reading/Literacy.
Summary: The Department of Social Sciences which is located in the
College of Business and Public Affairs. The chairperson reports to
the Dean--and is responsible for the supervision of faculty and
staff in the Department of Social Sciences. As the academic leader
of the department, the chairperson is expected to implement the
University's strategic initiatives and maintain an annual cycle of
assessments to monitor achievements. The chairperson is also
responsible for ensuring the periodic evaluation of programs and
for refreshing and developing curriculum, maintaining regional and
program accreditation standards and requirements, and encouraging
and modeling best practice in teaching. The chairperson is expected
to successfully participate in shared governance and a
collaborative decision-making process.-- Essential Duties and
- Makes department budget recommendations and maintains budgetary
matters via Banner System.
- Recommends faculty teaching assignments within the department
ensuring fairness in assignments.
- Leads departmental meetings with faculty and staff, a minimum
of once a month.
- Participates in weekly Department Chairs meetings with the
- Develops and monitors class schedules and compiles and submits
faculty workload reports.
- Ensures accurate leave and compensation reports are completed
and submitted by deadlines.
- Serves as peer mentor and recommends appropriate faculty for
- Completes all assignments/reports within time frame of
- Establishes and maintains a student friendly environment.
- Provides leadership with the highest level of integrity and
- Participates with faculty members in shared governance in areas
of goal setting and assessment; faculty recruitment, hiring,
mentoring, and tenure and promotion reviews and evaluations;
curriculum and program development and in student recruitment,
retention and career development.
- Supports, evaluates and maintains faculty and staff capable of
delivering high quality curriculum(s) and related services.
- Coordinates departmental program development, review processes,
curricula changes, and accreditation self-studies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Position Requirements (including years of experience,
certifications, licenses, etc.):
- A terminal degree in Criminal Justice, History, Political
Science, Sociology or related field.
- Ten (10) or more years teaching experience at the college level
and demonstrated excellence in teaching
- A record of publication and presentations demonstrating a
commitment to scholarly activity
- Administrative experience in planning and carrying out the
teaching, research, and service requirements of a
multi-disciplinary academic department or unit with more than
fifteen (15) members.
SALARY: Negotiable Alabama A&M University is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Alabama A&M University
encourages applications for employment from persons who are members
of groups that have been underrepresented based on race, color,
national origin, gender, age, or disability.
Please submit the following documents online
- Employment Application
- Unofficial transcript (if applicable) Already have an AAMU
Employment Account? Login to add documents or update your
Keywords: Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University, Normal , Chair, Department of Social Sciences/Associate or Full Profe, Other , Normal, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!