RN - Transfer Center (Carle Direct)
Posted on: November 11, 2021
The Transfer Center RN Specialist is dedicated to facilitating
appropriate patient transfers into Carle Hospital from referring
physicians and facilities (hospitals, clinics, etc.). Obtains
appropriate patient information critical to determining the
appropriate Carle provider, medical necessity and level of care,
and demographic information. Responsible for facilitating a
conference call between the referring physician and the Carle
receiving physician, and will ensure, when appropriate, that an
appropriate level of care bed within Carle is identified, and
facilitate a timely mode of transportation. Responsible for meeting
the needs and expectations of referring physicians/facilities, as
well as accepting physicians by supporting and managing the patient
transport process efficiently and effectively. Efficiently engages
appropriate departments in the transfer process and monitors and
documents all activities associated with the transfer. Responsible
for oversight of the entire transfer episode, from start to finish,
for communication back to the referring facility, and for
communication to the physicians assuming care of the patient
post-discharge from Carle.
- Expedites consultation between referring patient-care providers
and receiving physicians.
- Demonstrates strong clinical assessment skills to appropriately
assess patient acuity and needs, assumes principal responsibility
for the coordination of acceptance, admission and transfer, and
necessary communication between the referring physician, attending
physician and clinical staff.
- Utilizes established scripts and algorithms to facilitate
smooth transition into Carle Hospital.
- Develop high quality professional relationships with providers
and staff at referring facilities to ensure that transfers are
timely and appropriate with high level patient care while ensuring
maximum patient safety, optimal physician and consumer satisfaction
while promoting Carle Service Line to existing and potential
network hospitals. This will include site visits with referral
sources to better understand their needs.
- In collaboration with House Officers/Throughput Officers
maximize organizational patient flow and capacity management.
Communicate patient placement needs utilizing contemporary
guidelines and principles of patient safety, clinical relevance,
patient care, patient acuity and nursing care requirements and
corresponding workload ramifications.
- Conducts recorded three-way calls between referring physician
and facility physician as well as nurse-to-nurse report.
- Ensures documentation is concise, meets standards utilizing all
appropriate forms, and is completed in a timely, accurate
- In addition to facilitating communication prior to and during
the transfer process, the nurse in this role will be responsible
for maintaining communication after the patient stay in order to
maintain continuity of care for the referred patient. Provides
follow-up calls and communication with both internal and external
customers to meet the needs of the patient.
- When necessary, facilitate transfer to other appropriate
facilities if Carle Hospital is unable to provide the services
required to accommodate patient needs.
- Communicates and collaborates with the House Officer to assure
proper bed placement and resource availability. Obtains and
documents relevant clinical data to individually assess the needs
of each patient to ensure proper patient placement. Serves as the
primary clinical resource to House Officer staff in any
unforeseen/unscheduled events that arise related to incoming
- Manages and coordinates centralized communications between
referring and accepting provider services. Collaborates with
physicians to assess urgency and priority of transfer
- Collaborates with providers to ensure effective algorithms
utilization to ensure smooth
- transfer process; protocols to create a continuum of care for
patients being transferred from outside facilities.
- Develops and promotes long-term relationships with referring
facilities and providers. Advocates for regional patients,
providers and facilities ensuring that regional providers will want
to send their next patient to Carle.
- Arranges and coordinate all urgent and emergent inpatient
admission and transfers. Receives and processes all patient
transfer related requests from referring and accepting providers.
Documents all required information in Epic and Forefront.
- Develops and utilizes a feedback mechanism to provide follow-up
to referring facilities and provider.
Keywords: CARLE, Normal , RN - Transfer Center (Carle Direct), Other , Normal, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!