RN - Lactation Consultant - Mother/Baby
Company: Carle Health
Posted on: November 18, 2022
The staff Registered Nurse (RN) is a professional caregiver who
assumes responsibility for a group of patients for a designated
time frame and provides care to these patients via the utilization
of the nursing process, nursing trends, technology, financial and
human resources within the philosophy of the institution. The
Lactation Consultant serves as the Hospital's expert resource on
human lactation. Facilitates the development and maintenance of
skills necessary to insure optimal care of the breastfeeding dyad.
Utilizes the critical thinking in the delivery of patient care
including assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of
patient outcomes. Revises plans of care as indicated. The Lactation
Consultant functions as a member of the multi-disciplinary
healthcare team as a consultant, educator, and mentor to patients,
nurses, and healthcare professionals.
Diploma (Not HS) in Nursing
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
Registered Professional Nurse (RN) License Illinois upon hire and
Basic Life Support (BLS) within 30 days and Certified Lactation
Counselor CLC is not required if candidate is already
IBCLC-certified. CLC is not required to be maintained once IBCLC
certification is achieved. within 6 months or Breastfeeding
Counselor Certification (CBC) CBC is not required if candidate is
already IBCLC-certified. CBC is not required to be maintained once
IBCLC certification is achieved. within 6 months and Lactation
Consultant Certification (IBCLC) within 2 years.
Mother-baby experience or equivalent with proven ability to work
successfully with breastfeeding mothers and their infants.
- Serves as a consultant when difficulties with lactation are
beyond the knowledge and/or training of the health care
- Consults, develops and implements lactation plans of care.
- Serves as a liaison and/or facilitator between the community
and hospital providing ongoing expertise, education and support to
groups and individuals.
- Provides a communication link between the hospital and health
care provider's office to assure coordination of patient care and
maintains communication with health care providers concerning
patients experiencing lactation and breastfeeding problems.
- Demonstrates appropriate assessment, planning, intervention,
and evaluation based on stages of life and developmental
- Educates patients, families and health care team members.
Provides education for mothers and family in correct lactation
- Develops and implements ongoing lactation educational program
annually on lactation for the healthcare team. Participates in
lactation program development and implementation.
- Works with the appropriate shared governance structure on
issues relating to lactation.
- Participates in development of policies, procedures, algorithms
and guidelines specific to lactation practice at site and system
- Collects data, identifies, monitors and evaluates quality and
safety issues related to practice.
- Maintains phone consultation system for lactation questions and
- Represents the lactation department at unit/system/community
- Evaluates and integrates research findings into lactation
- Maintains current knowledge of lactation research and reflects
this knowledge in current lactation practice. Participates in
lactation research projects.
- Pursues continuing education relevant to lactation consultant
practice including reading current professional journals,
participating in workshops, seminars, in-service programs,
conferences, accredited courses, and professional
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate
against any employee or applicant for employment because of race,
color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation,
gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or
any other federal, state or local protected class. Carle Health
participates in E-Verify and may provide the Social Security
Administration and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland
Security with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to
confirm work authorization. - For more information:
Effective September 20, 2021, the COVID 19 vaccine is required for
all new Carle Health team members. Requests for medical or
religious exemption will be permitted. With an approved exemption,
healthcare workers must do weekly testing and verify a negative
Keywords: Carle Health, Normal , RN - Lactation Consultant - Mother/Baby, Other , Normal, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!